France Cote d’Azur – 2
We already showed you some of the corners of the Côte d’Azur – they are connected with the names of the princes of Monaco, Sean Connery and even the self-appointed kings. And now we offer together with AirPano fly over no less remarkable place.
40 km west of Cannes is Frejus – administrative center of the canton. Harbors are laid for its fleet of Julius Caesar. To the IV century land Frejus were Christian, and architectural development of the city has gone in this direction. Monuments of the Roman period: strengthening, port facilities, baths, amphitheater and aqueduct – have survived in the form of a dilapidated. His role in this was played by the floods, and the constant attacks of the Muslim conquerors in the VII-IX centuries.
Now Frejus especially popular resort. Its sandy beaches stretch for 7 km; the city has the largest zoo on the French Riviera, as well as two water parks (one of them – the largest on the coast). In addition, architecture – ancient and modern – it can be considered as an interesting excursion Fréjus town.
Remains of Roman colonies scattered throughout the city. In the amphitheater and theater hosts bullfights and shows a Gallic gates and walls of the fort are reminiscent of the past glory of the city of Julius Caesar.
In the V century in Frejus was built the Cathedral of St. Leonty Frezhyusskogo. From it remained only Baptistry, and it is the oldest Christian constructions on the territory of Provence and throughout France. Other attractions Frejus associated with Christianity – the Cathedral of the XIV century, the monastery of the XII-XIV centuries and the chapel of Notre-Dame-de-Zherusalem XX century.
2 km from the city is Buddhist pagoda Hong Hien and Islamic culture is Missira Mosque, built in the 30s of the XX century for the soldiers of the colonial troops. a sample of the architects took the Great Mosque of Djenne in Mali – the largest alluvial clay-building in the world. Missiria walls were covered with a layer of ocher, so that the mosque stands out for its unusual bright color.
At a distance of 3 km from Fréjus is Saint-Raphael. In 1799, Napoleon Bonaparte and his troops landed here on the way from Egypt. Another interesting chapter of military history associated with the Saint-Raphael dates back to World War II. On this area of the coast on August 15, 1944, the largest seasal operation in the Mediterranean: South French, or "Dragun" unfolded.
Among the architectural monuments of Saint-Rafael – the remains of the medieval fortress, the Church of Notre Dame de la-Victoria and the Temple of the XII century Temple, and the Archaeological Museum serves artifacts found in the vicinity of the city. But the main attraction of these places – the beaches, which are drawn by 40 km. They are covered with sand or pebbles and framed by unusual rocks of red.
Rest in Saint-Rafael chose such famous writers as Gi de Maupassan and Antoine de Saint-Exupery, and Composer Charles Guno wrote here Opera about Romeo and Juliet. We hope that our virtual walk will become a source of inspiration and good mood for you.